.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

The Cabot 36: Classic Blue Water Sailor

A site to celebrate this great Canadian passage maker.

Sunday, October 16, 2005

Orca (Hull 39)



Sorry to have taken so long to get back to you about my 'CABOT', however I hope that the following info will be of some value to you.

This boat was indeed commissioned by Dr. Luke Boulay in 1977 and she was berthed at the RNYC at Long Pond Manuels,Conception Bay South,Nfld.

Dr. Boulay sold her to a Mr. Gil Dalton. Her name while he owned her was 'SOLATAIRE'

The next person to own her was Mr. Frank Dopplinger, who purchased her sometime between 1991 & 1992. He spent 2 years down south with her and in the spring following her return (June 1996) I purchased her. Mr Dopplinger had changed her name from Solataire to Orca which was her name when I sold her. When I bought her everything was original. I added new upholstery, Dodger, Genoa, Waterheater, Domestic Water Pump, Traveller System, Engine, and Prop & Shaft replaced.

The Old engine was a 25HP Volvo Model MD2B -2 cylinder. I installed a new 43 HP Volvo 3 cylinder Mod. 2003T (turbo-charged), new Auto Pilot, new Chartplotter GPS Combo, new self- feathering Luke Prop & new Shaft (one and one eighth dia). I also installed all new 110 wiring, new 5 gal.ss fuel tank for Espar Heater & many more upgrades to numerous to mention. I thought, however, that the major changes would be of some interest compared to the original.

I owned 'ORCA' for 9 seasons and enjoyed her very much. I sold her 21 Aug.04 to Mr Phillip Du Toit who according to the web site WWW.yachtworld.com/trinav/ has since sold her again.

Trusting this will be of some help concerning this vessel for your records.

Capt.Eric Tippett
September, 2005

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home